PREP is a comprehensive PDF remediation and accessibility solution that utilizes advanced AI technology to make high volumes of documents and pages fully compliant with accessibility standards such as Section 508, WCAG 2.1, PDF U/A, and ADA. Our proprietary tool, PREP, enables efficient and cost-effective remediation with quick turnaround times for creating fully accessible PDFs ready for immediate use.
- Supports multiple formats: PDF, PowerPoint (PPTX), HTML, Word, and ePub3 formats are easily transformed to make them accessible.
- Meets and exceeds compliance standards: Fully accessible & Section 508, WCAG 2.1, PDFU/A and ADA compliant.
- Quick turnaround: Accelerated remediation and accessibility services with short delivery timelines and turnaround.
- Highly scalable: Thousands of documents are remediated in just a few weeks.
- High accuracy: Verified and tested by experts through the PDF accessibility validation process.
- Affordable: Reliable PDF remediation services are offered at competitive prices with a fixed-rate structure.
2. CommonLook PDF Validator
- All-in-one solution for testing, remediating, and verifying PDF documents for compliance with various accessibility standards.
- Proven workflow that allows for 100% compliance.
- Time-saving tools include automatically tagging tables, lists, and tables of contents.
- Ability to quickly assign the list numbering attribute for lists.
- Comprehensive features and functionalities to achieve compliance with minimal effort.
- Eliminates the need to use multiple tools to do testing.
- Currently only available for PC users.
- Can only open one PDF at a time.
- Cannot automatically add tags to an untagged PDF.
- User does not require knowledge of accessibility or the Tag tree.
- Higher chance of error as the user is not directly working with the tags in the document.
- Does not tag PDF files to the standards or provide a compliance report.
- Converting PDF to HTML may not be suitable for some organizations.
4. Adobe Pro DC
- Allows for manual checks, such as verifying appropriate alt text, to achieve a fully accessible document.
- Allows for the creation of tags, even from an untagged document.
- Enables correct reading order and
- Can correct a few color and contrast issues.
- Allows for adding and editing metadata, including title and language, which are required by standards.
- Passing the Accessibility Check-in Acrobat does not guarantee compliance with any accessibility standards (WCAG 2.0/2.1 or PDF/UA), and there are often many remaining accessibility issues to be fixed.
- Accessibility Check only tests checkpoints that can be verified with automation and requires manual validation.
- Third-party testing tools like CommonLook’s PDF Validator or PAC3 are needed to verify standards compliance.
- Many tasks in Acrobat working with the Tag tree are complex and time-consuming, and functions like remediating data tables and Assigning ListNumbering to lists are challenging.
- Acrobat Pro DC does not have an “undo” feature, which means the user may be forced to start over if mistakes are made.
5. Abby FineReader
- Exceptional quality OCR for converting printed materials to digitally accessible documents
- Ability to prepare universally accessible documents using PDF/UA format
- Support for access via text-to-speech, magnification software, and other assistive technologies
- Background recognition for handling text content of any PDF scanned or digitally created
- Table recognition for extracting content within tables
- Option to export to PDF/UA for easily accessible documents
- Integration with mobile devices for capturing and recognizing documents directly from a student’s mobile phone
- User-friendly assistive features such as an easy-to-use and intuitive interface
- Keyboard shortcuts for many operations
- Lack of document change history in the account
- No tool for merging multiple files into one
- Preview function may not work properly
- Manual editing may be required
- Some users may find it inferior to other PDF software like Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Primarily used for scanning and processing standard documents like contracts, surveys, and questionnaires